Thanks to advancements in research and treatment methods, men diagnosed with prostate cancer have more options and resources available to them than ever before.
Whether you or a loved one has been newly diagnosed with prostate cancer, talking to your doctor to learn more about the disease and treatments that are right for you is an important first step. You have many treatment choices and learning about the different prostate cancer treatment options will help you make the right decisions for you. Become informed and take control by:
– Asking questions
– Doing your own research
– Seeking a second opinion
– Finding out how different treatments can affect your health and lifestyle
Below is an overview of some current treatment options for prostate cancer. It’s important to learn more about the various risks and benefits of each option.
– Surgery – If prostate cancer hasn’t spread outside the gland, invasive surgery is often used to remove the prostate.
– External Beam Radiation Therapy (EBRT) – Also known as intensity-modulated radiation therapy or IMRT, this method uses high-energy x-rays to kill cancer cells and is administered over several weeks of daily treatments.
– Brachytherapy – Also known as internal radiation therapy, brachytherapy uses small radioactive pellets, or “seeds,” that are placed directly into the prostate to deliver radiation over a period of several months.
– Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT) – This treatment method uses advanced image guidance software to deliver high dose radiation to the prostate cancer with sub-millimeter accuracy. Treatment is completed in five or fewer outpatient sessions and results in less radiation exposure to surrounding healthy tissue.
At Reno CyberKnife, we treat prostate cancer with SBRT using the CyberKnife® Robotic Radiosurgery System. CyberKnife is a painless, non-surgical prostate cancer treatment technology in which high-dose radiation is delivered to the tumor from a linear accelerator mounted on a highly maneuverable robotic arm. Hundreds of different angles enable the radiation to be contoured to the shape of the prostate, resulting in treatment aimed directly to the prostate gland, avoiding nearby critical anatomy. Radiation therapy serves as an effective treatment for prostate cancer, working within cancer cells to limit their ability to multiply and spread.
To learn more about your prostate cancer treatment options, please click here. To contact Reno CyberKnife to find out more about how we treat prostate cancer, or to get a second opinion, please click here.